I recently started receiving the magazine VegNews which is a great vegan source. There were interesting interviews, great product reviews and yummy recipes. These tacos are a great example. Lentils + Homemade BBQ Sauce + Mushrooms + Dijon Coleslaw = Yum! I cooked the lentils ahead of time so the prep wasn’t too bad. I served these with sweet potato almond fries.
BBQ Lentil & Mushroom Taco adapted from VegNews
- 1 TB Olive Oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 pound of white mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cups of cooked brown lentils
- 2 cups Tasty BBQ Sauce (written below)
- Whole wheat tortilla shells
- 6 cups of dijon coleslaw (written below)
- In a medium saute pan over med high heat, heat olive oil. Add onion and salt and cook until the onions are translucent and starting to brown.
- Add the white mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly brown. Add lentils, BBQ sauce, reduce heat and cook until all warm.
- Put the mixture on a shell and top with dijon coleslaw.
Homemade BBQ Sauce from VegNews Magazine
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of sucanat
- 2 TB Braggs Liquid Aminoes (or soy sauce)
- 1 TB dry mustard
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp of liquid smoke
- 1/8 tsp of black pepper
- In a medium sauce pan whisk together all ingredients over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until sauce reduces to desired thickness.
Dijon Coleslaw from VegNews magazine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 TB red wine vinegar
- 2 TB Dijon mustard
- 1 TB agave
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 6 cups of cabbage cored
- In a large bowl whisk together all ingredients except cabbage. Add cabbage and toss gently with the dressing.
Does anyone else subscribe to VegNews? (I love it so far! =) Are there other vegan magazines out there to try? Hope that everyone has a wonderful Tuesday! Tune in tomorrow for ‘Why its good for you‘ =)