Okay yum – does this photo not make you hungry?? =) These almond butter sweet potato fries from dietdessertndogs are probably my favorite food right now. period. And these chickpea spinach burgers from Veggie Burgers Every Which Way were also delicious. Add a strawberry ‘unmilkshake’ to this meal and voila – a perfect ‘take out’ dinner – burgers fries and milkshakes. =)
I usually don’t cook with eggs or dairy products, especially since I recently learned that ‘cage free’ doesn’t always necessarily mean what you’d think. But these beautiful eggs came from our friends’ chickens which are healthy and cared for =)
To make these burgers vegan replace the eggs with 5 tsp ground flaxseed whisked in 6 TB of water. Another substitution the author suggests is sprinkling wheat gluten as your last step and kneading it into the mixture before shaping into patties.
Spinach Chickpea Burgers: from Veggie Burgers Every Which Way
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpea
- 2 eggs (or vegan subs listed above)
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour, or more if needed
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a medium skillet and saute spinach and cumin seeds until the spinach is wilted (around 2-3 min). Allow the spinach to cool and then drain it if necessary. Chop.
- Combine 1 1/4 cups of the chickpeas, eggs, lemon juice and salt in a food processor and pulse until it becomes like a chunky hummus.
- In a large bowl combine the spinach with the remaining 1/4 cup beans and mash coarsely. Add the bean-egg mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Fold in the chickpea flour. Add more flour until the mixture is sticky but somewhat pliable. Shape into 5 patties
- In an oven safe skillet or non stick pan heat the remaining 2 TB oil over medium high heat.
- Add the patties and brown on each side. Transfer pan to a 375 degree oven and bake until burgers are firm and baked through – 12-15 minutes.
I also made a pesto/spread to top these. It was basically cilantro, toasted pine nuts, garlic, oil, lemon juice and lots of nutritional yeast – yum!
The strawberry ‘unmilkshakes’ were also really yummy and incredibly healthy =)
- Strawberry Unmilkshake (I used homemade oat milk)
- Almond Butter Sweet Potato Fries (the best recipe in the world!! =)
Hope that everyone has a great weekend!