Wow I have been on a kale kick lately. I eat sauteed kale every morning at breakfast, and sometimes for dinner too! This particular recipe from Feeding the Whole Family was sweet and delicious. (I can’t stress enough how wonderful this particular cookbook is – I have gotten it from the library several times and I’m always pleased with how these nutritious meals turn out).
This was my first time using Earth Balance and I was wonderfully impressed with the flavor it gave to this dish – A nice ‘brown butter’ effect. Olive oil is great but sometimes a little butter (or butter sub =) can go a long way =).
Sweet Apple Walnut Kale: From Feeding the Whole Family
- 1 bunch of kale
- 2 TB of Earth balance (or olive oil or butter)
- 1/2 apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 TB raw sugar or sucanat
- 2 to 3 TB apple juice or cider
- 1 TB Braggs Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce or tamari)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Tear washed kale leaves into bite size pieces.
- Melt Earth Balance in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the apple and walnuts, sauteing for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle raw sugar over the apple and walnuts and stir so they are evenly coated.
- When the apple is softened add kale leaves and saute over medium heat until leaves begin to turn a brilliant green.
- Combine the juice and Braggs in a small bowl and pour into skillet. Cover tightly and cook until leaves are tender Dress with the vinegar before serving.
I served my kale along side marjoram carrots and nut burgers with avocado and homemade feta. Yummy =)